Saturday, May 7, 2011

For my mothers

I feel I need to take a moment to give thanks to all the mothers in my life. The women in my family have helped me so much and it is only right I thank them all.

To my grandmother - Thank you for making sure we are always comfortable and have enough to eat when we visit. Thank you for the toys you kept when we were kids that we loved to play with (especially the blocks and the plastic boat). :) Thank you for welcoming my husband into the family with open arms. Thank you for showing me how to serve everyone no matter who they are.

To my "yaay-yaay" - Thank you for letting me call you "yaay-yaay" even though it is just "yaay" (I was young girl who couldn't say it). Thank you for coming to my piano recital when you came all the way from Thailand. Thank you for being a classy lady and thank you for slowing down just enough to let us grandkids catch up with you!

To my late "Grandma" Milne - Though not my real grandma, still treated us kids just like a grandmother would. Letting us pick fruit off the trees and letting us roll down the hill in the backyard. Then letting us "skate" in the kitchen on dish towels (though you really just wanted us to dry off the floor after you had mopped).

To my Aunt Louise - thank you for making us laugh. Thank you for teaching me to cheat at card games :) and thank you for teaching me to respect my elders.

To my late Aunt Alice - For giving me the whole Anne of Green Gables book set to encourage me to read and for letting my brother and me run down the dirt hill to the irrigation ditch below the house to play.

Thank you to both my grandmothers-in-law for whom I am grateful - For teaching my husband to be respectful and loving him as a boy. He always speaks of you both so fondly.

To my aunt-in-law Joyce - You are beautiful and so very kind. I had always heard such great things about you from my husband and you are even more wonderful than he could have described to me when I finally met you.

Finally, Thank you to my darling Mother-In-Law - For being so patient. Thank you for being so loving and caring to all your children. Thank you for making sure we are healthy and for giving us advice in so many things. Thank you for letting us stay in your home. Thank you for talking to us when we need to. Thank you for being a wealth of knowledge. Thank you for being such a classy lady. Thank you for my husband.

And last of all, my own mother...

Just a short list of things she has done for me over the years…

*Cook amazing food
*Force me to do chores so I would know how to when I started my own home

*Chauffeur me all over until I could drive

*Teach me to walk and talk

*Swabbing my owies with hydrogen peroxide so they would not get infected

*Pulling my big head out of the grating when I got it stuck as a kid

*Teaching me to cook

*Teaching me to love all things beautiful

*Showing me how to be classy while not breaking the bank

*Giving me a love for tea on a cold day

*Teaching me that an education is so very important

*Teaching me never to give up

*Telling me not to hit my brother

*Reading to me when I was little then teaching me to read on my own

*Taking the time to give me a great and structured education

*Being there to talk on the phone when I want to rant and rave about something and then calming me down

*Telling me to “be positive!”
*Giving me a never-ending love of traveling
*Always being mindful of others and serving selflessly
*Teaching me a love for God

*Putting her children’s wants and needs (but more often the “wants”) before her own

*Making the best of it when dad built our house and we had to live in a trailer until it was finished
*Teaching me to sew
*Teaching me to laugh
*Taking care of me when I got sick

*Always caring for my health

*Being the first to teach me how to create

*Making sure I made it to piano lessons

*And Violin lessons

*And Fencing lessons

*And soccer.

*And youth group.

*Teaching me to drive
so I could go myself
*Showing me how to think for myself

*Showing me how to care

*Showing me how to serve

*Showing me how to give
*Giving me the foundation for a wonderful life and the motivation to seek out the right things for my family and to follow my passions. My mother is the most beautiful woman in the world. She has given me so much and I can only hope I will be able to give the same to my children one day. She has supported me in so many decisions even though she knew that they were not necessarily the best for me. She let me make those mistakes on my own and propped me up when I fell after them. She taught me to press on and she has never stopped loving me.

Mommy, I love you

No comments:

Post a Comment