Monday, May 2, 2011

Almost there and a plant!


Phew, last test to take is on Wednesday then I will be dooone for this semester. Then comes Summer semester! Yes, I know... we're nuts. But here is what I did in ten minutes when I had a spare minute.

I have a very bad habit of doing projects late at night so it makes for not so good pictures. I hope you at least get the gist of it. :P

Firstly, I have a poor little aloe vera plant I have been trying to keep alive for the past year. It is the one plant I have managed to keep alive for more than two months! So when I started to notice its poor little spiny branches getting a little shrively, I panicked. What could be happening! I decided the pot I had it in was too small. To be honest, it was probably too small to begin with... I know I could have gotten a ceramic pot for $10 at Home Depot or something but... I had another plan. I jaunted on over to the DI and found an old red plastic bowl. For $1 it will be perfect.
The handsome husband drilled some drainage holes into the bottom of the bowl. If you do this, do it quickly and carefully because the plastic will melt a little, but it was no big deal.
Thank you to "Ruby" for donating the bowl to DI. ^-^
I filled the bowl with some extra dirt left over from who-knows-when we attempted to plant something. Then I very gently pinched the bottom of the plant and wiggled it out of the little pot.
If you look carefully, you can see all roots straining to get out.
Fill with more dirt and pat down and water.
This is the top of a Costa Vida take-home meal holder from a burrito long past. We put the plant on that to make sure the water doesn't drain through onto the tabletop.

And tada! My aloe vera plant in a new $1 container. I am not a gardener at all so I am hoping this works. It certainly looks like it will. Here is my only issue with my cheap planter... I don't like how high the dirt comes up in it. Maybe I should have tried to find a taller planter. Or maybe I need to find some way to hide it. Or maybe I worry too much! It's pretty good for $1.
What do you think? Suppose there was a better way to do it? Let me know! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment