Saturday, April 23, 2011

A Day Late


Happy Belated Earth Day! I realize I am a day late in expressing this, but my excuse is a good one. I promise! We're chillin' with the family for Easter. Woo, chocolate!
But anyway, I do want to take a moment to give a shout out to Earth Day. Quite often we just remember to 'save the earth' on one day a year. I have been excited to hear about all the different things we as individuals have come up with in the past few years to be green. Honestly, it doesn't take much and it doesn't take government mandates for us to do our part. Just remembering to turn off the light when you leave a room is awesome! So here are a few suggestions for 'going green' in an everyday way.

1. Buy local produce where ever possible.
Good for the planet because the food doesn't have to travel far to get to you.
Good for you because you know where it came from and it's likely healthier if you buy from Farmer's Markets!

2. Make your own cleaning supplies.
Good for the planet because it prevents unnecessary release of chemicals.
Good for you because, I don't know about you, but I have no idea what most the chemicals in cleaning supplies even are! I'm much happier to rub a slice of lemon on something to clean it instead of that cleanser that only says it's "lemon scented." For ideas on recipes, click here for a good website.

3. Don't use plastic shopping bags.
Good for the planet
because it helps prevent all the plastic floating around the highways.
Good for you because you don't have to worry about crumpling or storing those plastic bags anymore! I know there are a lot of those reusable bags in stores now. So buy one! Or better yet... make one! Take it to the store and have the bagger put your food in those instead. But if you do use the fabric bags, be sure to wash them. Especially if you had put meat or produce in them. I would recommend after every use, toss the bag in with your regular laundry. That way when you wash it, it just shares the same suds as your other wash rags or bathroom towels.

So that is my bit of wisdom. :p

Have a Happy Easter!

Here are two "green" spring time items in my shop. Enjoy!

(Click Here to purchase)

(Update: Sold)

No comments:

Post a Comment